Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy Holidays From Brew or Die!

It's Christmas Eve and what better way to enjoy the holidays than sharing a few beers with close friends and family.  I'm heading home to spend time with my mother and grandfather.  With me, I'm bringing a 6-pack of my recently bottled Gingerbread Nut Brown Ale.  On Christmas day, we spend time with the entire family.  If the Christmas spirit fully sets in, I might even decide to share a bottle or two. 

When I bottled, I made a point of bottling a few 22oz bottles to give as gifts.  This will be a great for friends since most of them enjoy a quality beer (some are home brewers themselves).  Before actually giving the gift, I had to make sure it wasn't ruined. I opened a bottle to check for taste and that it was fully carbonated.  Please note that when I sampled a bottle, I did so without placing it in the refrigerator because my bottles sit in an environment that makes them slightly chilled (averaging about 60°F).  I know there is a controversy over what temperature you should drink a beer.  Depending on the style, I tend to like my beers chilled below room temperature but not quite at the temperature straight from the fridge. Its a matter of preference, but a Google search produced this information which I tend to agree with.

Upon the actual pour, the color is nice and dark and formed a nice colorful head. When taking my first taste, I could smell the spices and the taste, mixed with the darker malts and brown sugar, reminded me of a gingerbread cookie.  It came out just as I hoped; malty and less bitter with a mild hop taste.  I wont lie that after trying the first bottle, I had two more.  Final verdict? A great beer for a holiday gift or just to drink for the season.  I know my friends will enjoy it and it wont last long so I'm going to hide a six pack to save and see how it tastes in a couple months.

Since we're talking beer, I think it's safe to mention the necessity of responsibility and not overdoing it.  This is something that's to be enjoyed.  You can enjoy yourself with a few beers and not become belligerent.

That being said, may your holiday be safe.  Enjoy the time you've had as the year ends and head into the new year with high hopes and a full pint.  Happy Holidays from Brew or Die!

No comments: